Film & Ska


My love for filmmaking and ska are finally crossing paths. I've wanted to do a ska documentary for quite a while, but the timing has never been right. Until now.

My introduction to the ska scene came in high school, around 1997. As a trombone student and a desire to support local music, finding the scene was quite inevitable. Although I'd just barely missed great bands like Swim Herschel Swim and Stretch Armstrong, the wake they left was still quite alive. I followed a few bands quite religiously. One of my fondest memories was seeing The Skatalites play at the University of Utah. After high school I took a few traveling ventures through Europe and the deep south, and ultimately lost touch with the local scene. Apparently almost everyone else lost touch as well.

Fast forward to 2003. With my career in it's infancy, I met Nate Fackrell, a fellow filmmaker. His brother Andy had recently formed a ska band and was looking for a trombone player. I immediately jumped at the opportunity and helped form The Upstarts. Over the last 4 years, we've played small shows to those tried-and-true ska fans. We've even played shows where we as a band out-numbered those in the audience. Unfortunately, the scene today just isn't what it used to be.

2 comments:

  1. The Utah Ska 'scene' may be a bit lean these days, but the music that the bands, new and old, is producing has just as much vitality, soul and fire as it ever has.

    It's a matter of making our own scene, now. You're taking a great big step in helping out with that facet in doing this documentary. Nothing but props, old friend.

    Any help you need along the way, please ask. I'll lug gear, help capture shows, write interview questions and contribute anything else that you need help with.

    Utah Ska Revival.
    Scene Unity.
    Dub Love.

    EcksTheCRUX

    ReplyDelete